Monday, December 3, 2012

The Old Chap

One evening, Holmes came into my room. Seeing as I would no longer be using that room, he asked permission to take it. I agreed, but should have known what he was up to. He had some policemen bring in a dead body--the body of the man who tried to kill me back at the ginger midget's home.

I sort of looked at the body, and thanked Holmes for taking care of that man. Holmes looked at the floor, and I at Holmes, then back at the body. We were both silent. Then Holmes began speaking again, and inspected the body for clues. While I was getting some things out of a cabinet, I couldn't help but turn my head back at Holmes' work. He caught me, and I immediately looked back into the cabinet.

As Holmes continued to inspect the body, I took occassional quick glances back at him. I wanted to keep going on with my own affairs, but the work Holmes was doing kept fascinating me. It almost made me want to return to being his righthand man.

One has to decide whether to fix problems in a friendship.

Holmes began to guess where the case my lead to next. I said, "Nine Elms". Holmes replied, "I wondered". He then tried to change the subject, asking me if I knew where he put the Lords Register of members' interests. I told him it was on the stepladder. He silently went to the ladder, while I quickly inspected the body before Holmes returned.

I was too interested in the work, that I barely noticed his return. He began talking again, while I suggested that Nine Elms might be a factory by a river. Holmes suddenly seemed interested in what I had to say. I got away from the body, and tried to change the subject, asking Holmes if he knew where I had left my rugby ball.

Holmes discovered that I my assumption was correct. The case was leading to Nine Elms, a factory by the river. "This should lead us right to Blackwood", he said to me. "Not us", I said seriously. "You". Holmes hesitatingly left, saying that "us" was a figure of speech. But after he left, I noticed his pistol was lying on the table. Not surprising. He left it there in an attempt to get me to follow him.

Sometimes relationships can be strained. One has to decide whether to fix these problems, or let them be. And I had to make that choice.

- Dr. John Watson

No comments:

Post a Comment