Saturday, December 1, 2012

Strained Friendship


Sometimes, Holmes can be quite a difficult man to live with, much less work with. As I recall, Holmes spent the first two weeks after the Blackwood case locked in his dark room. He had some of the strangest habits, such as shooting bullets at the wall. This no doubt drew attention. Our visitors seemed to think Holmes was going mad. I just felt that he needed a new case.
Holmes was ruining himself. He had not changed his clothes, shaved, or bathed in quite some time, and had a rather odd fear of light. As his doctor, nay, as his friend, I advised him to search for a new case. I also wanted Holmes to meet my fiancĂ©, Mary. Naturally, Holmes was far from willing.


Mary and I 
That evening, Mary and I arrived at the restaurant where we were to meet Holmes. Sure enough, there he was (fashionably early) with his eyes closed. Evidently pondering his surroundings. I was praying that tonight would go well, and Holmes wouldn't embarrass me. I explained that Mary was an avid reader of detective novels. Naturally, it was an honor for her to meet Holmes. That's what worried me. Especially when she asked Holmes to use his skills on her.
Holmes behaved very rudely. He implied that Mary's previous engagement was broken off. Truth be told, Mary's former lover actually passed on. Needless to say, Mary was upset with Holmes' behavior, and left the restaurant in tears.
Sometimes it's hard to put up with difficult people like Holmes. Still, you have to try to make the best of it. After all, loyalty (in addition to trust) makes a strong friendship. And no matter how hard it is to be in the same room as Holmes, I still have to remain loyal to him. After all, he is my good friend.
- Dr. John Watson.

No comments:

Post a Comment